Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Down Memory Lane

When I was young I was a keen sportsman. I have represented my schools and my district in sports. In 1957, Malaysia held its first Merdeka spot. I represented my school in the 100 yards flat race Bentong Open. To win you must have speed, a good start and a good finish. Competing with the best in the district, I came out first. Thus I was the fastest man in Bentong then. I was given 5 dollars in cash for the price, or was it 3? I can’t remember clearly.

To me, variety is the spice of live. I like singing, and ballroom dancing; the cha cha, rumba and the waltz are my favorites. In games, I play table-tennis, badminton, golf and billiards.

Nowadays, I play Tai Chi and billiards only. As a way to keep fit, I also do some jogging and a little bit of gardening.

My greatest disappointment in life so far is going into business. I formed a legal money lending company which folded because of bad loans. I should have listened to Shakespeare who said, “Neither a lender nor a borrower be; for a loan soon looses itself and friends.”

My first two years in the stock market were profitable. Then came a bear market .I lost some money. I didn’t know that I didn’t know. Then I began to know what I didn’t know. I started to learn. After a few years of studying, observing and learning, I got the correct approach and the correct touch. From then I have never looked back.

Call it luck if you wish. Luck, of course is important. The harder and smarter you work the more you will have.

“God favors the prepared mind” is one of my favorite sayings.